This slide show looks at Afghan operations in the Khowst Province. It is one of the 34 provinces of Afghanistan and is located in the East of the country. Its capital was the first city to be freed from communist rule after the Soviet invasion. In a visit in December 2007, Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates came to see firsthand “a model of concerted counterinsurgency effort, the synergy that comes from an integration of ‘hard’ and ‘soft’ powers.”
Credit: Joint Combat Camera Afghanistan, April 2010
- In the first photo, a member of an Afghan-international security force secures the entrance of a compound during a mission in the Sabari District, Khowst province.
- In the second photo, a Soldier assigned Delta Company 3-187 Infantry Regiment fires mortar rounds after receiving effective indirect enemy fire, while at Combat Outpost Sabari, Khowst Province, Afghanistan.
- The third photo shows crew members aboard a CH-47 Chinook trying to provide security after delivering supplies to Combat Outpost Sabari, Khowst province, Afghanistan, April 4th, 2010.
- The fourth photo shows U.S. Army Spc. Kevin Grimes, Delta Company 3-187 Infantry Regiment, setting up a mortar at Outpost Sabari.
- The final photo shows a CH-47 Chinook deliversing supplies to a combat outpost in the Sabari Disrtict.
***Posted on May 31st, 2010