USS Harry S. Truman Rescues Iranian mariners
In this slide show, the forward deployed USS Harry S. Truman provides emergency relief for distressed Iranian sailors. This is part of what the USN calls its six core capabilities of the Maritime Strategy – forward presence, deterrence, sea control, power projection, maritime and security and humanitarian assistance/disaster relief .
Credit: US Navy Visual Service, August 18th, 2010
- In the first photo, eight mariners board the Iranian navy ship Chiroo from a rigid-hull inflatable boat from the aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman after their vessel was engulfed in flames Aug. 18. The mariners were rescued by two SH-60 helicopters from Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron 7 and transported to Harry S. Truman, where they were evaluated by medical staff and provided with clothing and food. The Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group is deployed supporting Operation Enduring Freedom, maritime security operations and theater security cooperation efforts in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of responsibility.
- In the second photo the eight mariners approach the Iranian navy ship Chiroo in a rigid-hull inflatable boat from the aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman.
- In the third photo, sailors aboard the aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman prepare to transport eight mariners in a rigid-hull inflatable boat to the Iranian navy ship Chiroo.
- In the final photo, Capt. Joe Clarkson, left, commanding officer of the aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman, bids farewell to the eight mariners that survived the fire.
 Additional References
- and the implementing approach http://www.navy.mil/maritime/noc/NOC2010.pdf
*** Posted On September 7th, 2010