USS Henry M. Jackson (SSBN 740) Returns After Patrol
04/24/2014: USS Henry M. Jackson (SSBN 730) is the fifth Ohio-class nuclear-powered fleet ballistic-missile submarine and the only U.S. Navy ship to have been named for United States Senator Henry M. “Scoop” Jackson (1912–1983) of Washington. Also the only Ohio-class submarine not named after a U.S. state.
The ship originally was to have been named USS Rhode Island. The contract to build Rhode Island was awarded to the Electric Boat Division of General Dynamics Corporation at Groton, Connecticut, on June 6, 1977, and her keel was laid down January 19, 1981. Shortly after Senator Jackson died in office suddenly on September 1, 1983, Rhode Island was renamed Henry M. Jackson, and the name Rhode Island was transferred to another Ohio-class submarine, SSBN 740.
The Henry M. Jackson was launched October 15, 1983, sponsored by Senator Jackson’s daughter, Ms. Anna Marie Jackson, and commissioned October 6, 1984, with Capt. Ralph L. Tindal in command of the Blue Crew and Capt. M. A. Farmer in command of the Gold Crew.
These photos show he Ohio-Class Ballistic Missile Submarine USS Henry M. Jackson (SSBN 740) returns home to Naval Base Kitsap-Bangor following a strategic deterrent patrol.
The final photo shows USS Henry M. Jackson (SSBN 740) moored alongside USS Louisiana (SSBN 743).
Credit:Commander, Submarine Group Nine:1/28/14